Pisto Manchego (a.k.a. Spanish Ratatouille)
- 1 eggplant
- 2 bell peppers (a combination of colours is nicest)
- 1 zucchini
- 1 red onion
- 1 carton cherry tomatoes/equivalent amount of roma or plum tomatoes
- 1/2-1 can canned tomatoes (optional -- for if your fresh tomatoes suck, which is likely)
- 1 head garlic
- 1/8-1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tbsp. ground cumin
- 1 tbsp. oregano
- 1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes
- black pepper
- 1 grill (or roasting pan + broiler, whatever)
- Large baking sheet/baking pan
- Large saute pan/skillet
Roast all the vegetables on the grill over moderately high heat until not quite tender (charring the outsides) -- about 15-20 minutes for the onion, eggplant, and garlic (chop the top third off of the head), 10-15 minutes for the peppers, and 5-8 minutes for the tomatoes and zucchini.
Move the vegetables onto your baking sheet/pan, and pick the charred bits off the vegetables while they cool. Slice the onion, chop the other vegetables to the desired size.
Heat olive oil in skillet. Add vegetables and spices, bring to a boil, and simmer until the vegetables reach the desired tenderness (about 10-15 minutes). Add salt and pepper to taste. (It will need plenty of salt.)
If you like, top with a fried egg.